About Me

My photo
I currently work as a school librarian at a school in Welwyn Garden City in Herts. I am also the Chair of the Federation of Children's Book Groups a National Reading and Literacy Charity as well as being founder of National Non-Fiction Day. I also work as an indepedent consultant to publishers, schools and librarans

Thursday 19 November 2009

Kid's Lit Quiz

We took our two teams last night to the regional finals of the quiz and our students did really well. Although they didn't come in the top 3 their overall knowledge of books was fantastic. For my liking the quiz was aimed more at the classic side of children's fiction rather than the more exciting contemporary stuff which I promote highly in the library and thus gave an advantage to those schools whose libraries don't have as much newer stock but get students to read the 'classics'. It certainly is a shame that there was really no questions of books published more recently that the last 5-10 years as there certainly is so much good stuff out there. Luckily we do go into the quiz with our eyes open and the students went to take part and enjoy themselves rather than to be ultra-competitive. We still plan on taking part next year but I will still make sure that we promote all the great new stuff in our library and hope that they manage to update their questions for next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment